The purpose-designed and built facilities of Cathedral Grammar are located on a spacious and accessible inner-city site, perfectly placed for parents working in the CBD and surrounding areas.
The 2011 Christchurch earthquakes, which brought about the removal of the oldest building stock, has resulted in new facilities which are in varying stages of planning, development and construction.
The Specialist Block, built in 1924, is the largest wooden heritage building on our site. Refurbished in 2015, the $3.1M redevelopment has transformed this magnificent building into a state-of-the-art music, science and art facility, which includes a performance hall and two art studios. The rooftop solar panels generate the building’s power requirements as well as providing power to other parts of the school.
The Junior School - designed by Andrew Barrie Lab and award-winning Japanese architect Takaharu Tezuka - opened in 2016. This modern building has won numerous architectural and building awards for its provocative design. There aren’t many schools boasting a classroom block with a roof deck overlooking a park and a slide from the rooftop to a green courtyard below!
Artificial turf surfaces, cricket nets and the basketball court provide year-round play and teaching areas with upper-body strength playgrounds provided in two areas to suit different ages. Extensive use is also made of the numerous courts and sports playing fields in neighbouring Hagley Park.